Financial Provision for Children (Unmarried Couples)

The state, acting through the Child Maintenance Service (CMS), now has primary jurisdiction for assessing and enforcing child maintenance. The court only has residual powers to make financial orders for the benefit of children. Where unmarried parents cannot agree over this issue and the CMS cannot assist further due to statutory restrictions on the extent of its powers, it is sometimes necessary to make an application to the court for financial orders to provide for maintenance, lumps sums and the settlement or transfer of property to meet the child’s needs. This is a complex area and requires expert advice and guidance to ensure that any application is appropriate and proportionate in the individual’s circumstances.

We are using cookies to give you the best experience. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in privacy settings.
AcceptPrivacy Settings


  • Google Analytics

Google Analytics

We use Google Analytics to collect and store certain anonymous information when you use, access, or interact with this website. This information is only used by us to help improve our digital services and user experience.